I decided to make the eggplant lasagna recipe in a series of three parts. Why? Well, I’m not gonna lie, The lasagna recipe is NOT a quick recipe to make for dinner, however, it’s worth the effort because it’s delicious and you will have at least 2-3 future lunches or dinners already made. There is the Tomato Red Sauce, the white sauce, the soaking of the eggplant, and the actual cooking time. In this post I will show you how I made the delicious, creamy, non-diary White Bechamel Sauce that could also pass for Alfredo Sauce. This specific preparation takes about 20 minutes or less.
- 1 cup of cashews soaked in filtered water for at least 8 hrs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or any high temperature cooking oil
- 2 chopped green onions
- ¼ chopped leek
- ½ onion chopped
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 small chopped sweet peppers or if using the big ones then only use ¼ of red, orange and yellow peppers
- 1 ½ cup of vegetable stock (you can use chicken if you desire)
- ½ cup of filtered water
- 3-4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- ½ lemon
- Himalayan salt or sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Herbs to taste. I used basil, thyme, rosemary
- Organic spices (optional) I used a blend I buy at Costco that has no salt
- Sauté the onions, peppers, leek, green onions, garlic in avocado oil for about 3-5 mins
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews well
- On a high speed blender combine the cashews, vegetable stock, water, nutritional yeast, lemon, Himalayan salt, black pepper, herbs, and organic spices and blend
- Now combine the sautéing mix with the cashews sauce and blend again for about 30-45 seconds
- If you are using this sauce for anything other than the lasagna, then you can add a bit more vegetable stock or water to make it thinner and runny. If it’s for the lasagna then it’s better that is thicker.
You can use this sauce to replace anything that goes with a white sauce. It’s a much healthier version than the traditional Bechamel or Alfredo sauce which calls for butter, cheese, flour and even heavy cream sometimes. The cashews give the creaminess required for this type of sauce while adding the kind of fat our bodies need for optimal functioning.
Now, it’s your turn I wanna hear from you. Let me know in the comments below if you plan to make this and what will you use this sauce for?
Until next time amigos,